Pages

Thursday 28 December 2017

Day 4: Hitting a High Note…

Day 4: Hitting a High Note…

Activity 1: The Waiata - A Song in Your Heart
In the past, Māori would often use song as a way of sharing information or communicating emotions.  A waiata is the name given to a traditional Māori song. One of my all-time favourite waiata is Kia Paimarie. What about you?

Use Google to research traditional Māori Waiata. Listen to a number of Waiata and read the lyrics. On your blog tell us which one of the waiata you found you like the most. Why do you like it?

The Maori Waiata I like most was Tiaho Mai Ra. I liked this song because its meaningful. Its for a person who has passed. It has the words "Hoki mai rā ki ahau, e te tau" meaning "Come back to me darling". It is a very insightful Waiata and I can strongly connect with the words. I thought that this song was explaining how you miss someone that has passed but in a different and beautiful way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Annalisa, glad to see you are still working hard on your blog over the summer holidays. Keep it up!

    Thanks for sharing your favoruite Waiata with us, Tiaho Mai Ra. It's great that you like it because of it's meaning, and thank you for posting a translation for us. Well done for writing a superb review. I think you might be right, it does seem to be about missing someone who has passed away. Great job!

    What other kinds of music do you like listening to? Who is your favourite singer?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    I really liked your reasons on your favourite Waiata which was Tiaho Mai Ra.
    I could connect with how you said that it was for a person that had passed because your meaning of Come back to me darling was very meaningful.

    Do you like any other Waiata's?

    Mikaela

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.