Pages

Wednesday 27 December 2017

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

SAMPLE PEPEHA
Ko ____Rangiputa___ te maunga    The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko _______Awaroa________________ te awa          The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko ___Mamari___________________ te waka The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko ________One-one________________ tōku tīpuna My founding ancestor is…
Ko ___________Te rarawa_____________ tōku iwi          My tribe is…
Ko _______Ngati ____ Haua-Te Apouri__________ tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
Ko ______Te kotahitanga__________________ tōku marae My marae is…
Ko ____Anna-Lisa____________________ ahau I am from…
Ko__Tracey______ rāua ko ___Niko________ōku mātua  My parents are … and …
90668006.jpg
Ko ________________________ tōku ingoa. My name is …

*affiliate means to associate with, or be close to.

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Annalisa,

    It is so great to see you actively participating in the Summer Learning Journey programme this year! I am enjoying your posts and found this one particularly interesting. It's so fascinating to find out more about your ancestry through a pepeha. I had never heard a pepeha before I moved to New Zealand but I have really grown to love them!

    At the moment I am helping Aronui learn his pepeha. He struggles, sometimes, to remember all of the details but I am confident that he'll get there. Speaking of family, how is your family doing this holiday? Are you enjoying some nice time together? The weather has been beautiful so Aronui and I have spent a lot of time in the out-of-doors. He is currently obsessed with basketball so we've been shooting hoops in our driveway a lot!

    Wishing you and your family all the best for a restful holiday and a happy and healthy new year! It's hard to believe that it's almost 2018 already...

    Talk to you again soon,

    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.